A J-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States for spouses and dependents of J-1 exchange visitors.

Employment Authorization

J-2 visitors may request work authorization from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by submitting form I-765. Adjudication typically takes between 3 and 5 months. If approved, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will be issued, authorizing the J-2 visitor for employment for a period of up to one year. Applications for additional employment authorization may be submitted annually until the end of the J-2's status. [1]

Academic Enrollment

J-2 visitors may enroll in academic programs as recreational or degree-seeking students. There are no enrollment requirements associated with J-2 status; students may enroll full- or part-time and discontinue their program at any time. J-2 visitors who have not completed their academic program by the time the principal J-1's status ends may petition for a change to F-1 student status, provided they are not subject to the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement. Not mentioned about the duration of this visa[2]